Thursday, May 27, 2010

A few more words on Nietzsche

There are still complications in Nietzsche's writings on gender that I have not covered fully here; I'm going to read some secondary sources and do another post on this subject. Sexuality seems to be an area in Nietzsche's thought that is underdeveloped; but the references he makes to it are worth studying nonetheless. Much of my writings here have centered around such themes as love, sexuality, and gender, and these themes are present in Zarathustra as well-- and they are worth close, careful examination.

I must say, however, that Nietzsche's philosophy impacts me in a way that goes well beyond gender, and even the phrases that I found offensive cannot discount the kind of exhileration and enthusiasm that I derive from his concepts of self-overcoming, striving, self-creation, and, most of all, saying Yes to life. Yes to life exactly as it is, with all its difficulties and challenges. Not fearing failure, but throwing oneself into an experience and a trial with all one's effort and passion. I shall return to blog about Nietzsche again in the near future, but for now, I leave you with this quote:

"All praise to that wild, good, free storm spirit that dances upon swamps and afflictions as upon meadows! That hates the wasted dogs of the mob and all the ill-constituted brood of gloom: all praise to this spirit of all free spirits, the laughing storm that blows dust in the eyes of all the dim-sighted and ulcerated."

No comments:

Post a Comment