Saturday, February 5, 2011

Wouldn't it be loverly?

(To explain the title, I just read Pygmalion. Songs from My Fair Lady have been stuck in my head all week)

A couple of weeks into the semester, I feel like I'm doing fairly well with staying balanced. Last weekend, Jarrod and I played music (he plays bass, I'm a clarinetist), I painted during my mid-week snow day, and I've talked to my parents and my sister on the phone/Skype. I've also been working out more frequently, using the gym on campus even though I hate gyms. I like to run outside. That's about it. I loathe treadmills and elliptical machines with a passion. I'm hideously awkward on them; I can't figure out my usual running speed in miles per hour, I hate all the mirrors (who really wants to see what they look like when they run?), and I don't like indoor tracks because I feel like a hamster on a wheel... but no one plows in Buffalo so running outside is still too hazardous. Therefore, the gym One benefit is that I am getting better about mixing up my workouts. I tend to focus exclusively on cardio with either running, swimming, or biking, but now Jarrod is helping me with weight training.

I think I'm going to quit coffee for a while too. With the early, early mornings we have to put in this semester, it's tempting to start the day on campus at Starbucks, but I don't want to become dependent on caffeine or spend more money than I need to, so coffee is out. Presently, tea tastes better to me now anyway, so it won't be much of a sacrifice. Yes, I know tea has caffeine too but it's about a third of the amount of caffeine in coffee, so I'm not getting bent out of shape about it.

That's all for now. Back to homework before hopefully doing something fun tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment